Welcome to week 2 of #soupalooza! Today I’m introducing you to a slow cooker recipe that will knock your pants off and make you put down that take out menu. Also, this recipe couldn’t come at a better time because it’s currently snowing in Seattle right now. Snowing! That hardly ever happens and I’m over the moon.
I use my slow cooker constantly in the winter. It’s a great resource to use when the days are crazy busy and the last thing you want to do is come home and cook, so you order pizza instead. Totally been there.
Pho is my number one soup when I’m cold down to the bones. This Slow-Cooker Chicken Pho taste like something you would find in a restaurant but is almost completely hands off. My secret is to cook the chicken thighs in beef broth infused with fennel seeds, cloves and cinnamon. You end up with a spiced meaty broth that taste like it has been boiling on the stove top for hours. Nobody has to know you that you just threw everything in the slow cooker and walked away.
You can garnish this Slow-Cooker Chicken Pho with a plethora of toppings, like bean sprouts, Thai basil, and so forth. I went the easy route though and just used sliced jalapeno’s and lime wedges. However you choose to top your soup, it will be delicious no doubt about it! Enjoy.
If you decide to take a chance on this Slow-Cooker Chicken Pho don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1.5 lb. boneless chicken thighs
- 2 32 oz. boxes of beef broth
- 1 stick cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1½ tablespoons fish sauce
- Rice noodles
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- In 6 quart slow cooker, add chicken thighs, beef broth, cinnamon stick, cloves, fennel seeds, coconut sugar and fish sauce. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Transfer chicken thighs to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Remove spices and discard. Stir in the shredded chicken. Taste soup and adjust to your liking aka more salt or fish sauce.
- Cook the rice noodles according to package directions, set aside.
- To prepare each bowl, add a serving of rice noodles and pour broth over top. Garnish with lime wedges and slices of jalapeno.