If I had to choose one pizza to eat for the rest of my life, it would be BBQ Chicken. The sweet saucy chicken, oozy cheese and slices of red onion are my love langue. Although, I have to admit, sometimes I want a simple cheese pizza, so please don’t ask me that question. My answer will change on the reg.
Lately, I have been shying away from meat. Not because I have some moral qualms about it, I just can’t afford it. Chicken at the supermarket is like 8 bucks for a few measly thighs. No thank you, I’ll stick to plant based protein.
Lentils are the king of plant based protein with a walloping 18 grams per 1 cup. What?! I know, isn’t that insane? This recipe has 9 grams of protein; so don’t worry, you won’t be walking away from the dinner table starving.
These BBQ Lentil Quesadillas are packed to gills with cheese, red bell pepper, onion and lentils coated in a smoky BBQ sauce. They are messy, and require a napkin instead of a fork. You guys will love them! Enjoy.
If you decide to take a chance on this BBQ Lentil Quesadilla, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1 half red bell pepper, diced
- 1 half sweet yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup cooked brown lentils
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1½ cups shredded Mexican cheese
- In a skillet, saute red bell pepper and onion, until the bell pepper is soft and the onion is translucent. Add lentils, cook for another 3 minutes. Pour in bbq sauce, and stir. Set aside.
- Sizzle ½ tablespoon butter in a heavy bottom skillet, and lay a flour tortilla down. Then build your ingredients by adding cheese, lentil mixture, cheese, lentil mixture and more cheese. Top with a second tortilla.
- When the tortilla is golden on the first side, carefully flip to the other side. Continue cooking until the second side is golden. Cut into wedges and serve.