During the week, I stick to a primarily healthy balanced diet, involving plenty of vegetables, fats, fruits and carbohydrates. On the weekends though, I wander over to one of the many coffee shops in Seattle and treat myself to a pastry and a latte – it’s a simple pleasure that makes me incredibly happy.
99 percent of the time I order a scone or a croissant because I find they aren’t overly sweet. Muffins on the other hand – oomph. I’m not sure why people have to dump so much damn sugar in them – they would be tastier if they weren’t really cupcakes in disguise.
Anyways, when I was skimming through the latest Cooking Light Issue, I saw a recipe for Whole Wheat Brown Butter Muffins made with wholesome ingredients. The next day, I pulled out my mixing bowls and made a few variations to the recipe such as, adding zucchini, hemp seeds, flax seeds and swapped in maple syrup for the brown sugar. These are the kind of muffins you will feel good about eating in the am.
These Whole Wheat Brown Butter Zucchini Muffins are, tender, buttery and have a kiss of sweetness. My boyfriend and I finished off a dozen in three days. I think you will find them just as tasty. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on these Whole Wheat Brown Butter Zucchini Muffins don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup flax seed meal
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients together in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium; cook 90 seconds or until brown and fragrant, swirling pan frequently. Combine butter, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla extract, mashed banana, egg and grated zucchini in a bowl.
- Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375 for 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Enjoy!