It took me awhile to hop on the hemp seed train, but once I did there was no turning back – I’m hooked on the omega 3 and protein packed (10 grams per 3 tablespoons) seed. I’ve started putting them in everything – hot drinks, smoothies, salads and now pesto!
My first experience with hemp seeds was in the form of a latte, which I immediately chucked in the trashcan because it tasted like an ashed cigarette. So imagine my surprise when I tasted them in their whole form. They have a pleasant nutty taste, almost like sunflower seeds with a softer texture.
Hemp seeds blend together with cilantro, parmesan cheese, garlic and olive oil into a pesto that is rich in essential fatty acids, zinc, magnesium and complete protein. Impressive, no? If you’re dairy free, you can even eliminate the cheese and replace it with nutritional yeast.
Add this Hemp Seed and Cilantro Pesto to pizza, pasta, eggs, quesadillas – the options are endless. You’re whole family will love it. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on this Hemp Seed and Cilantro Pesto don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup parmeson cheese
- 3 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
- ¼-1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pulse the cilantro, garlic cloves and red pepper flakes in a food processor. Add the hemp seeds and parmesan cheese, and pulse again.
- With the blade running, slowly add in olive oil, starting at ¼ cup. If you like a thinner pesto, add a bit more until you are satisfied with the constancy. Season with salt to your liking.