I’ve talked about it before, but my grandmother had three recipes and only three recipes down pat – three bean salad, chocolate Nutella sandwiches, and meatballs. She wasn’t much of a cook, but in a lot of ways, she was ahead of her time.
Due to her husband’s illness, she had the entire family on the Price-Pottenger diet, which includes naturally produced dairy products, raw unaltered proteins, and foods rich in body building nutrients. She was making bone broth and eating grass fed beef before it was trendy to do so.
I didn’t spend much time in the kitchen with my grandmother, but when I make these Easy Italian Meatballs, it feels like she is right there next to me, guiding my hands and rolling her eyes at my skimpy use of salt. That woman loved to over salt everything, bless her heart.
There is a reason why the word easy is in the title of this recipe. These meatballs come together in no time so you can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. You don’t have to soak the bread crumbs in milk or use half pork and half ground beef or slaughter the cow yourself. All you need is simple pantry staples, two eggs and one pound of grass fed ground beef.
These Easy Italian Meatballs bake in the oven for 15 minutes, and then get finished under the broiler for a crispy outside and tender inside. They taste delicious over pasta, polenta, rice or stuffed into a hoagie roll covered in cheese. Whatever path you take, you will not be disappointed. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on these Easy Italian Meatballs, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1 small white onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large brown eggs
- ½ cup of stale bread crumbs
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix grated onion, herbs, garlic powder, salt, and eggs. Fold in stale bread crumbs and ground beef. With your hands, mix ingredients together until everything is incorporated.
- Pour ½ cup of marinara sauce into the bottom of a cast iron skillet.
- Roll meatballs into golf ball sized balls. Place in cast iron skillet and repeat until there is no ground meat mixture left. Bake for 12 minutes, turning half way through.
- Turn oven off and your broiler on high. Broil meatballs for 10 minutes, until they are cooked through and no longer pink. Serve.