These Grain-Free Pancakes are dairy, nut, and gluten free but you wouldn’t even know it! They are fluffy, light and melt in your mouth.
I’m not sure if this is how it is for everyone but I’m absolutely starving when I wake up. During the week, I silence my grumbling stomach with eggs, either hard-boiled or fried. On the weekend though, I mix things up because by the time Saturday rolls around, I can’t look at another egg.
Pancakes are my weakness. Since I’ve adapted a healthier approach to my diet though, I’ve had a hard time finding a recipe that doesn’t make them as dense as a brick. Enter cassava flour, which is ground up yucca root. It can be swapped in for whole-wheat flour with pretty outstanding results.
These Grain-Free Pancakes taste exactly like buttermilk pancakes – they are light, fluffy and melt in your mouth. I can promise you that nobody will know that they are gluten, dairy and nut free. Due to the fact that I used avocado oil, you don’t get an overwhelming taste of coconut either. They’re basically perfection if I do say so myself.
If you decide to take a chance on these Grain-Free Pancakes, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- ½ cup cassava flour
- ¼ cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large brown egg
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together, including the sugar.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes to curdle and become a faux buttermilk.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add the almond milk mixture, avocado oil, vanilla extract and egg. Whisk to just barely combine - it's okay if there are a few lumps.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Ladle ¼ cup of mixture onto hot skillet. Once bubbles form around edges, about 3 minutes, flip to the other side and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Serve warm.