Lasagna is one of those dishes that have endless variations, which is why it is my go to on lazy nights. Whatever is in my crisper drawer gets thrown into the mess of noodles and ricotta cheese. When I was younger, my mom let me in on a little secret. A beaten egg and 1/4 of a teaspoon nutmeg in the ricotta take’s the lasagna from eh to extraordinary. It gives it an earthy nuttiness to the otherwise heavy dish.
This Roasted Vegetable Lasagna is the queen or king, whichever you prefer, of easy weeknight meals. A 400 degree oven caramelizes the vegetables so that they taste more like candy then something healthy for you. Although you can use whatever you have on hand, I recommended at least half of a sweet potato and an onion. Roasting does take an extra forty minutes but you literally toss everything in a pan with a dash of olive oil, salt and pop it in. Do laundry, dress up your cat, watch stupid YouTube videos, whatever makes you happy. Then when it’s done, you layer the noodles with the vegetables, ricotta and marina sauce. Easy Peasy. Enjoy!
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ sweet potato, chopped into bite size pieces
- 3 red and green bell peppers, seeded and chopped**
- 3 cups marina sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups ricotta
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb lasagna noodles (I used no boil)
- Add whatever vegetables you have on hand. Just chop and roast. If you add zucchini throw in halfway through roasting time.
- For Roasted Vegetables: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss the vegetables with olive oil, salt and pepper on a baking sheet covered with foil. Turn the vegetables once halfway through. Bake until they're tender about 40 min.
- To Assemble: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, egg and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg. Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Pour half a cup of marina sauce on the bottom, a thin layer. Cover with lasagna noodles then the ricotta mixture plus the roasted vegetables. Repeat layering. For the final layer, noodles, 1 cup marina sauce and the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for about 45 minutes or until its bubbling around the edges and golden brown.