This Healthy Pumpkin Tahini Bread is a cozy morning treat without any refined sugar and is made with sproated whole wheat flour. It has a dense not too sweet crumb that is perfect alongside a cup of tea.
I feel like since its almost technically fall I can bust out the pumpkin without a huge up cry. People have some very strong opinions about when its okay to stock up on the bright orange colored vegetable. I think the middle of September is a respectable time to get excited about the upcoming season and maybe a bake a few cozy treats.
Besides my Vegan Pumpkin Bread, my blog is seriously lacking in anything pumpkin. I’ve decided to change that with today’s recipe for Pumpkin Tahini Bread.
Tahini is ground sesame seed paste. You can find it at most grocery stores in the Middle Eastern section. Adding it to the batter gives a subtle nutty flavor that I personally adore. This Tahini Pumpkin Bread isn’t too sweet, letting the coconut butter glaze shine. You can slather it with salted butter, apple butter or eat it plain alongside a steaming mug of tea.
With the rain reappearing in Seattle, I’ve been keeping this pumpkin bread stocked for weekday mornings when I want a treat without the guilt. There is no refined sugar and sprouted whole wheat flour ensures no vital nutrients have been stripped from the grain. Enjoy!
- 1 can pumpkin
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⅔ cups sprouted whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mesquite powder or cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ cup coconut butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Sprayan 8 by 8-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin, maple syrup, tahini, coconut oil and almond milk. Add in eggs and mix until there are no yellow streaks left.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- With your mixer on low, slowly add the dry to the wet until everything is incorporated. Don't overbeat. Pour mixture into baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Make the Glaze: In a small saucepan, melt coconut butter with honey. Add in 1 tablespoon at a time of almond milk, until you have a runny constancy. Drizzle over cooled pumpkin loaf. Serve.