Roasted broccolini is tossed with the addicting combination of olive oil, red chili flakes and nutritional yeast – hence the the name, Vegan Crack Broccolini. You won’t be able to stop eating it!
I wasn’t one of those kids who refused their vegetables or scrunched up their nose at the sight of anything green. My mom didn’t believe in making two different dinners – one for the grown-ups and one for the kids. That meant my brother, and I ate whatever she was serving – usually, it wasn’t anything exotic. Some kind of protein, a vegetable, and a starch. When we would travel though, all bets were off. I ate my first piece of squid when I was four; minus the rubbery texture I loved it.
I believe strongly that my mom giving me the gift of an adventurous palate is the reason why my love for food runs deep, especially vegetables.
At the first sign of spring, I pull out my canvas bag and visit the overflowing stalls of the Capitol Hill Farmers Market. The produce is a thousand times better than you would find at the supermarket and I like breathing in the fresh air as I shop. During my latest visit, I found flowering purple broccolini, which is milder with a sweet earthy taste.
Roasting it with nutritional yeast, olive oil, and salt and pepper turns the delicious vegetable into an addictive side, hence the name – Vegan Crack Broccolini. You won’t be able to stop eating it, trust me – I know. Cheesy, nutty and a tad salty its like your favorite potato chips with tons of nutrients throw in. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on this Vegan Crack Broccolini, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1 pound broccoli, tough ends trimmed off
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a bowl toss broccoli with olive oil, red chili pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast and salt and pepper to taste. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes or until caramelized and tender.
- Transfer the broccoli to a plate and toss with remaining with 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast. Serve.