How is it already the middle of April? I swear as you get older time seems to speed up until you can barely keep track of what day it is anymore. My boyfriend would scoff at my usage of old – he turned thirty on Friday and has declared himself a senior citizen. I swear if I hear him complain about his achy back one more time…joking.
For his surprise party, I baked a three-layer carrot cake and swaddled it in cream cheese frosting. Everyone loved it! There wasn’t a single piece left, which was sad because I really wanted leftovers.
Since Easter is this weekend, I thought it was the perfect time to share the recipe but with a twist! These Gluten Free Carrot Cake Cookies are chewy and soft with plenty of cinnamon and grated carrots. Refined sugar-free, honey gives them the perfect amount of floral sweetness.
The dough has to chill for 30 minutes in the fridge to ensure they don’t spread in the oven. After that, it’s all gravy from there. You could drizzle icing on these Gluten Free Carrot Cake Cookies to make them an extra special treat for kids and adults alike. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on these Gluten Free Carrot Cake Cookies, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1½ cups spelt flour
- ⅓ cup super fine almond flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
- 1½ tablespoons tahini
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 small carrots, grated
- ½ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another larger bowl, mix the softened coconut oil and tahini into a smooth paste. Add in egg and honey and stir again, until everything is incorporated.
- Mix in dry ingredients with your hands or with a wooden spoon. Fold in grated carrots and shredded coconut. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Drop the cookie dough into 8 scoops on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.