The number one way I stay on budget when it comes to food is leftovers. I don’t do huge meal preps on Sundays because I’m lazy and would rather spend time enjoying the last few moments of my weekend. With a stocked pantry and a fridge full of veggies, and proteins, there are very few times were I’m lost on what to whip up for lunch, dinner or breakfast. Also, it helps to have a few general recipes up your sleeve, like chili, tacos, grain bowls, and so on. Then these meals can be turned into other meals, like using the chili for a pasta sauce.
It quiets the complainers who hates leftovers and requires very little prep on your part!
These Green Onion and Feta Mashed Potato Cakes came about from an overabundance of roasted potatoes that I needed to use up. Remember to not skimp on the toppings – I drizzled on plain yogurt, pomegranates seeds, diced green onions and more feta. It basically makes them taste like nachos.
You can serve these Mashed Potato Cakes for dinner, breakfast or as a fun game day appetizer! They are incredibly versatile and get an A+ in the taste department. I’m sure your friends and family will agree. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on this Green Onion and Feta Mashed Potato Cakes don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 2½ tablespoons crumbled feta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large brown eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes through red pepper flakes, until batter constancy.
- Heat two tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. With your hands, mold ⅓ cup of batter into a circle and drop into hot oil. Cook until medium brown, about five minutes per side. Serve.