My mom and I both deal with Sciatica, which causes radiating pain down one or both legs from the lower back. It’s especially bad when it’s cold outside or when I’ve been sitting for long periods of time. When I went to the doctor to talk about how to treat it, he immediately suggested medication aka the easiest solution.
Since I didn’t treat my ADD with a pill, I sure as hell wasn’t about to wade into the dangers waters of muscle relaxants. Instead I sought out alternative therapies, like yoga, acupuncture and an anti-inflammatory diet. After 6 months, my Sciatica pain was greatly reduced, as was the frequency of flare-ups.
There is an arsenal of healing spices hiding in your cupboard right now – cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, cloves, rosemary and so forth. You would be surprised how easy it is to heal your body IF you eat whole, unprocessed foods in their natural state. Most people assume that means eating bland salads everyday, but I’m here to bust that myth once recipe at time.
Take this Anti-Inflammatory Hot Chocolate – it is creamy, rich and taste like melted pudding spiced with cinnamon, turmeric and a kick of black pepper. A tablespoon of coconut sugar adds the barest hint of sweetness. I love to drink this warming beverage when the four a clock slump comes around. You can top it with whipped cream or coconut cream – either is delicious. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on this Anti-Inflammatory Hot Chocolate don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- A pinch of salt + ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 scoop of beef collagen (optional)
- In a pot over medium heat, gently warm the coconut milk, until simmering. Add in cocoa powder, ground cinnamon, turmeric, salt, pepper, coconut sugar and beef collagen. Whisk together until frothy.
- Pour into a mug and top with whipped cream or coconut cream. Breath deep, savor and relax.