I’ll be honest with you I’m not a salads girl in the winter. I much prefer something heartier like a bowl of pasta and meatballs. But lately my body is crying out for less sugar and more vegetables. How do I know this? The migraine I had last night that knocked me out at 8:00 pm – the worst one I’ve had in ages. Instead of ignoring this blatant sign, I’m actually going to listen and respond with care.
This Broccoli Crunch Salad can be found at Whole Foods or in my case, at a vegan café in Fremont. Raw broccoli is tossed in a mayo dressing with raisins and toasted cashews. When I got home, I re-made my own version with a healthier twist.
The salad dressing is comprised of whole milk plain yogurt, honey, apple cider vinegar, grainy mustard, shallots and garlic – all ingredients you probably have on hand right this minute! It does make a bit extra, however, it is an awesome dip for veggies so save the leftovers in a container in the fridge when the snacking bug hits.
There is no limp sad broccoli in this Broccoli Crunch Salad. You leave it raw for the best texture, and then add diced apples and toasted almonds. Once it hangs out in the fridge for about 4 hours to overnight, dig in with glee or share the love and bring it to a potluck. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on this Broccoli Crunch Salad don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- ¾ cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 head of garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- 2 heads of raw broccoli, chopped
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- Top with: Toasted almonds
- In a small bowl, whisk together the whole milk yogurt, shallot, garlic, mustard, apple cider vinegar and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a larger bowl, add in the chopped broccoli and apple. Drizzle on dressing to your liking and toss to coat. Refrigerate for about 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, sprinkle on toasted almonds. Serve.