I feel almost silly for posting such a simplistic recipe but when the days are short and your time is even shorter, sometimes un-complicated is best.
There is a certain pressure to post original interesting recipes every single time and some bloggers excel at it, like Tieghan from Half Baked Harvest. Man, that woman is a powerhouse of creativity. I have no idea where she comes up with half her ideas.
What I’m starting to learn though is the rhythm of seasons. In the winter, I slow down and tend to gravitate toward foods that are nourishing yet simple. These Kimchi Stuffed Sweet Potatoes topped with a Fried Egg fit that description to a tea.
If you’re wondering what the heck kimchi is – it’s fermented cabbage and it’s filled with gut healthy lactobacilli bacteria. A little tangy, a little sweet and a tad spicy, kimchi is a required taste, but once you get used to it, you won’t go back. You can find it in most supermarkets pre-packaged or you can make your own!
This recipe comes together in a snap. All you need to do is roast a sweet potato, stuff it with kimchi and fry an egg in coconut oil. The silky egg yolk drips into the spicy tangy kimchi and mingles with the earthy sweetness of the potato. Each bite is pure perfection. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on this Kimchi Stuffed Sweet Potato with a Fried Egg don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- ½ cup kimchi, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon furikake seasoning (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roast sweet potato for about 30-40 minutes, until quite soft and a knife can easily poke through the skin. Split open baked potato and stuff with chopped kimchi.
- In a pan over medium heat, fry egg in coconut oil. Top sweet potato with fried egg and sprinkle with seasoning. Serve.