Stuffing is a mainstay on any Thanksgiving table. My mom for years has used Stouffers pre-packaged stuffing mix with a quart of Swanson chicken broth and added in the usual vegetables, celery, mushrooms, so forth. It is delicious – no question, but it lacked a certain depth to it that I could never put my finger on, until now. It was too salty, too mushy, too everything and after a few bites I couldn’t stomach anymore.
Next week, I’m switching things up and adding two different stuffing recipes to the mix. A sourdough version and this one that I’m posting here today – Mushroom, Bacon and Leek Bulgur Stuffing that doesn’t use any bread.
Bulgur wheat is step up from refined carbohydrates, has a good dose of fiber, scores low on the glycemic index and keeps you full for longer. Mixed in with wild mushrooms, leeks and bacon, then coated in a creamy dairy free sauce, this stuffing recipe will score high marks with your guest. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on these Mushroom, Bacon and Leek Bulgur Stuffing don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1 cup bulgur wheat, cooked
- 5 slices bacon, thick cut
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ leek, chopped
- 10.8 oz. large white button mushrooms, about 7
- 3.2 oz chanterelles, about 5
- 1 teaspoon thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, minced
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Gruyere cheese, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees f.
- In a large pan over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy and golden brown. Place onto a plate and blot the grease with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Drain all about a teaspoon of the bacon grease and set the pan back over medium heat. Saute the celery, leeks and mushrooms, until all liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are tender. Add in herbs, bulgur wheat and bacon, cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together chicken broth, cornstarch and soy sauce. Pour over vegetables and let the sauce thicken, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into a grease baking dish. Sprinkle Gruyere cheese over top if you wish. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm
- Pour the mi