During the holidays, I’m responsible for the desserts because if it was up to my mom, she would buy a pie from the grocery store and call it a day. There is nothing wrong with that per say, except that I can’t stand grocery store pie. Its too slimy, too sweet and the crust doesn’t taste anything like butter.
I know – I’m a total pie snob and I’m not ashamed to admit it.
Sweet Potato pie is one of my favorite. The filling is straightforward and hard to mess up. Also, this goes without saying – its super duper delicious. Best served with vanilla ice cream while the pie is still hot so the cream pools down the sides.
Since there is a month left until Thanksgiving, I created Sweet Potato Pie Chia Seed Pudding to hold us over until the big event. This pudding has four ingredients and is packed with healthy omega 3’s, vitamin c, potassium and antioxidants.
The best part is that everything can be prepped the night before. Roast the sweet potato, prepare the chia seed mixture, store in the fridge and when you wake up – assemble. Easy peasy.
This Sweet Potato Chia Seed Pudding is creamy, sweetened with honey, has a tinge of cinnamon and is far superior to any grocery store pie. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on this Sweet Potato Pie Chia Seed Pudding, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1 cup whole milk or alternative milk
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small sweet potato, roasted and cooled
- In a mason jar, combine milk, chia seeds, cinnamon and honey. Secure cap on tightly and shake together. Store in fridge over night.
- The next morning, mash sweet potato with the back of a fork, until creamy.
- Pour half the chia seed pudding into a separate bowl. Stir in half of the mashed sweet potato. Now layer in a jar - chia seed pudding, sweet potato chia seed pudding layer and so on. End with the other half of the sweet puree on top.