I go through phases when it comes to salads – some weeks I’m all about them and other times I would much rather have a hot bowl of soup or if I’m being honest, a grilled cheese.
You see, as soon winter hits I want to hibernate in a pile of carbs but I know that my body will feel like crap if I eat like crap. So with that in mind, I do my best to keep my hand out of the cookie jar – literally.
As a kid, my brother’s definition of a salad was iceberg lettuce, sharp cheddar cheese, olives and ranch dressing – basically no nutritional value whatsoever. Now that’s he older he has seen the light and adds a raw vegetable or two and skips the creamy dressing.
But, I wanted to show him that a salad doesn’t have to be boring. It can have texture, layers and be filling enough for dinner. Exhibit A: Delicata Squash Brown Rice Salad with Tahini Dressing.
Delicata squash is tossed with olive oil, paprika and cinnamon, then roasted until caramelized. While still warm, you scatter the squash on a bed of arugula, grated carrots, cooked brown rice, raisins and sauerkraut. An earthy lemony tahini dressing is drizzled over top. Grab a fork and dig in! Enjoy.
If you decide to take a chance on this Delicata Squash Brown Rice Salad with Tahini Dressing, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons warm water
- Salt to taste
- ½ delicata squash, seeds scooped out and cut into ½ inch. thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt to taste
- 10 oz baby arugula
- ½ cup brown rice, cooked
- 3 carrots, grated
- A handful of raisins
- ⅓ cup kimchi or sauerkraut (optional)
- In a food processor, combine tahini, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, warm water, and salt to taste. Blend on high, until creamy. Set aside.
- Toss delicata squash with olive oil, cinnamon, paprika and salt. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 15 to 20 minutes until tender and caramelized.
- Place arugula into a large serving bowl. Top with brown rice, carrots, raisins and kimchi if using. Scatter roasted delicata squash over top. Drizzle with tahini dressing. Serve immediately