I have wanted to take a trip down south for the longest time. You can say it’s on my bucket list. Something about the food and the culture speaks to me.
Next up is the fun part – assembling the sandwiches. Herbed mayo is slathered on toasted bread, followed by thick cut bacon, fried green tomatoes and an over easy egg. It’s what Sunday morning dreams are made of. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on this Fried Green Tomato Breakfast Sandwich, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 2 green tomatoes, sometimes labeled cooking tomatoes
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 4 slices rustic white bread, toasted
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cooked
- 2 eggs, over easy
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place a cooling rack sprayed with non-stick spray on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Slice tomatoes ½ inch thick. Discard the ends. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for five minutes to draw out juices.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, smoked paprika, garlic powder and salt. Pour buttermilk in another bowl and then finally, add panko bread crumbs to another bowl.
- Dip tomatoes into flour to coat. Then dip the tomatoes into buttermilk. Dredge in panko bread crumbs to completely coat.
- Place coated green tomatoes onto cooling rack. Back for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Whisk together herbs and mayo. Slather bread with herb mayo and proceed to stack bacon, fried green tomatoes and an over easy egg. Top with another slice of bread. Serve.