There is a coffee shop near my old apartment called Roy Street Coffee House. The interior is filled with overstuffed couches and chairs for people to lounge on or work, and large communal tables, where I like to eavesdrop on private conversations. After going there for about a year, I was informed that Roy Street is actually a Starbucks in disguise.
What makes Roy Street different though is that the barista’s hand pull the espresso shots, serve a limited menu and frown upon Frappuccino’s. Basically, it’s very Seattle.
A sucker for marketing gimmicks, my favorite part about Roy Street is the seasonal drinks they offer. Sometimes I’m sorely disappointed like the time I ordered a maple molasses latte back in February. It tasted like a gingerbread cookie on steroids. But other times the barista’s get it so very right.
This Iced Vanilla Cardamom Latte was inspired by their creativity.
The frozen coffee ice cubes and vanilla simple syrup can be made ahead. In fact, I strongly encourage it! That way you can mix together this latte in a snap before you head to work and save yourself some cash too.
Warmed whole milk scented with the floral aroma of cardamom is poured over coffee ice cubes and sweetened with vanilla simple syrup. Its sweet, creamy and earthy.
I’ll be drinking this Iced Vanilla Cardamom Latte during these hot summer days and when Autumn comes, I’ll swap out the ice cubes for regular old coffee. A beverage you can enjoy during all seasons is a beverage that has a permeant place in my home. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on this Iced Vanilla Cardamom Latte, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 6 frozen coffee ice cubes
- In a medium heavy bottom sauce pan, whisk together sugar and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for about five minutes, until the sugar has completely dissolved. Mix in vanilla extract and set aside.
- Divide coffee ice cubes among two glasses.
- Heat whole milk and ground cardamon in a microwave safe mason jar for 1 minute or until warm. Secure lid tightly on jar and shake what your mama gave you. Once the milk is frothy, pour over top of coffee ice cubes. Stir in vanilla simple syrup to your sweeter preference.