Pizza is the first thing that comes to mind when I’m starving, and too lazy to cook. However, after ordering it way too much to the point where I was practically on a first name basis with the delivery driver, I took a step back.
There are a few healthier pizza options out there, like cauliflower crust for example. After trying it though, the bland crust just doesn’t do it for me. Plus, my mixture without fail comes out wet, and doesn’t crisp up in the oven as it should.
That is why I reached for my number two favorite vegetable – zucchini being first. Eggplant is a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B1 and copper. It also holds up well when roasted in the oven, making it the perfect vegetable to hollow out and stuff with toppings.
This Everything Pizza Stuffed Eggplant is loaded with pepperoni, green and red bell pepper, sausage, black olives, mushrooms, pizza sauce, and tons of mozzarella. It’s a dinner recipe that requires plenty of napkins, but you wont miss the carbs one bit. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on this Everything Pizza Stuffed Eggplant, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1 medium eggplant
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup cooked Italian sweet sausage
- ½ cup diced red and green bell pepper
- ½ cup torn pepperoni
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ⅓ cup black olives
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté mushrooms, and diced red and green bell pepper. Set aside.
- Cut the eggplant in half and scoop out the center, leaving enough meat inside the skin so that it holds its shape when baked. Layer pizza sauce, sausage, sautéed mushrooms, red and green bell pepper, pepperoni and black olives in the two eggplant shells. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the eggplant is cooked through, and the cheesy bubbly.