My go to is blueberry or raspberry, but when spring comes around I’m all about the rhubarb. Pleasantly tart it adds a nice contrast to the sweet buttery crumb of a muffin.
When my friend’s mom handed me a huge bushel of the bright green stalk from her garden, I turned some of it into jam, and tossed the other half into these Jumbo Vanilla Rhubarb Muffins. Best decision ever.
I used Sally’s Baking Addiction method – starting at 425 then turning the oven down to 375 – to get that perfectly domed top you find on most bakery style muffins. It also creates a golden brown crust that will make you want to burst out in song. So whatever you do, don’t skip that step. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on these Jumbo Vanilla Rhubarb Muffins, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup chopped rhubarb
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray jumbo muffin pan with nonstick spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients through cinnamon. Toss the rhubarb in the flour mixture so that it doesn't sink when baked.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix the unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and milk, until combined.
- Make a small well in the middle of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet. With a spatula fold everything together, until no flour streaks remain.
- With a cookie scoop, divide batter among prepared muffins tins. Top with coarse white sugar. Bake at 425 for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 and continue to bake for 25 minutes until tops are lightly golden.