This isn’t my first rodeo with pan-fried gnocchi. Around Valentines Day of last year, I posted a similar recipe but with brown butter sauce. Amazing? Hell yes. Healthy? Not so much.
I wanted to go a lighter route with this recipe, considering bathing suite season is around the corner. Lets just say my thighs are still in winter mode, but whatever. You have to live a little, which to me means eating that double fudge cookie – calories be damned!
Anyways, this Pan-Fried Gnocchi with Lemon Zest and Black Pepper is a simple date night worthy dish. You boil the gnocchi in water, pan fry it in butter, and sprinkle on some lemon zest and black pepper over top. It takes all of 10 minutes.
Pan-fried gnocchi are crispy on the outside, while still light and fluffy in the inside. I prefer it over boiled, because you avoid that gummy texture that makes you feel as if you’re eating glue.
If you want, you can make an easy sauce by whisking together lemon juice, and lemon zest in 1/3 cup reserved pasta water. Then pouring it over top of the gnocchi, and continue to cook over medium low heat, until the sauce has coated the pasta. Super delicious! Enjoy.
If you decide to take a chance on this Pan-Fried Gnocchi with Lemon Zest and Black Pepper, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 18 oz packaged gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2½ tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cook the gnocchi according to package directions. Drain.
- In a pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Add gnocchi in a single layer, and cook undisturbed for about 2 - 3 minutes, until golden and crisp. Turn the gnocchi, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle on lemon zest, and black pepper, along with salt to taste.