My mom always used to have a snack available when I got home from school. It would be either carrots with ranch dressing, microwaved taquitos, or sometimes if I was real lucky nachos. Ha! I just noticed two out of those three options were Mexican food. Guess my love started at a young age.
Anyways, we never had sweets, like cake, cookies or anything like that, which is why it has taken me almost twenty-five years to hear about snack cakes. I don’t really understand why they are called snack cakes, because it is essentially just cake. But, whatever. I’ll roll with it.
The deal is though, I wanted a healthier cake that wasn’t loaded down with sugar so you feel good about what you’re serving your kid or yourself. This Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Snack Cake has ½ cup of brown sugar, and no butter. A mixture of whole milk yogurt plus oil replaces the fat in this recipe. Also, almond butter is stirred in for a dose of protein.
This Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Snack Cake has a light and tender crumb with pockets of melted dark chocolate. Serve with a tall glass of milk, and pretended as if you are a kid again. Enjoy.
If you decide to take a chance on this Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Snack Cake, don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High five!
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cups whole milk yogurt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup almond butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree's F. Grease a 8' square cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Take out 1 tablespoon of flour and toss it with the chocolate chips, so they don't sink to the bottom of the cake. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, stir the yogurt, vegetable oil, almond butter, egg and vanilla until the ingredients are fully incorporated. Fold the wet with the dry, until a batter has formed. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased cake pan. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.