Hi! I missed you guys. Last week I took an unintended but much needed break from social media and the interweb. My family was in town so there was a lot of cookie making, and eating along with some bonding time. It made my heart incredibly full.
Once they left, I wish I could say I slowed down on the sugar but ahem – it’s me. I don’t ever slow down when it comes to sugar. Even so, my body was feeling the effects, and desperately needed some healthy nourishment.
This Kale, Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew comes together lightening fast. You basically throw all the ingredients in a pot, set the flame to medium low and let it do its thang for 35 – 40 minutes. Once the stew is done, you are left with a stick to your ribs meal without the heaviness.
Chunks of sweet potatoes cook down into the tomato laced broth, creating a sweet earthy flavor that pairs well with the tender lentils and kale. I ate leftovers for lunch and dinner for three nights in a row. It is that good! Enjoy.
If you decide to take a chance on this Sweet Potato, Kale and Lentil Stew don’t forget to #youngbrokehungry on Instagram so I can see it. High Five!
- ½ half yellow onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 28 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- Handful of kale
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- In a heavy bottomed pot, saute onions until soft, and translucent. Add garlic, and spices. Cook for another 1 -2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add in sweet potatoes, lentils, tomatoes, kale, bay leaf and vegetable broth. Over medium low heat, place lid on pot and let simmer for 35 - 40 minutes. The soup will be done when the lentils are tender, and the potatoes are soft. Remove bay leaf and serve.