I read somewhere that the night before Thanksgiving, people order pizza like it’s going out of style. It makes sense to save your energy for the big day. Also, pizza is delicious and pleases the pickiest of eaters.
However, instead of waiting for the stoned delivery man to show up twenty minutes late, why not make your own? You don’t need pizza dough to complete this task, contrary to popular belief. Pita bread or tortilla’s can work wonders.
For this recipe I used whole wheat pita bread because A.) I had it in my house and B.) I like a thicker amount of bread to topping ratio.
I’m that annoying person who eats the crust off pizza first and then proceeds to eat everyone else’s once they are done. Do you do this too? Please nod your head that way I won’t feel so weird. No? Fine. Whatever.
Moving on… these Sweet Potato and Chorizo Pita Pizzas come together in a snap. You sauté the sweet potato rounds, cook the chorizo in the same skillet and then add them on top of mashed black beans. I’m a spice freak and made these pizzas to fit my palate. Adjust according to your own. I would hate to get an email saying you had to drink a quart of milk to squelch the fire in your mouth. Enjoy.
If you decide to take a chance on these Chorizo and Sweet Potato Pita Pizza’s, don’t forget to #YBH on Instagram so I can see it. High Five!
- 2 pita breads
- 1 sweet potato, sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds
- ½ lb. ground chorizo
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- 1 cup Mozzarella
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté sweet potato rounds until soft and tender. Set aside. Wipe the skillet down and add chorizo. Cook until browned.
- In a bowl, add beans and the spices. Mash with a potato masher to create a thick chunky paste.
- Spread black beans on pita bread. Top with sweet potato rounds, chorizo, some more black beans, salsa verde and mozzarella. Broil in the oven until cheese is melted and the pita bread is crispy. Serve.