After a emotionally taxing last couple of days, cookies were in order. I decided to go outside the realm of chocolate chips and bake up a batch of molasses cookies. Fragrant with the warming spices of Autumn, they are like a cozy blanket and you’re favorite pair of fleece slippers combined.
I used regular molasses, not blackstrap which is bitter and less sweet. A almost full cup in the recipe add’s the ideal amount of spicy caramel flavor, distinct in gingerbread and other molasses desserts.
These White Chocolate Chunk Molasses Cookies bake up soft with a melt in your mouth crumb that my boyfriend went absolutely nuts over. I had to take them away before he could eat them all.
Rolled in sugar, they form a crackly exterior, and are a real stunner on any holiday dessert platter. Even better news, these cookies stay fresh for up to a week so they are an ideal gift to ship across the country to loved ones. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on these White Chocolate Chunk Molasses Cookies, don’t forget to #YNGBRKANDHNGRY on Instagram so I can see it. High Five!
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1½ cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- ⅔ cup molasses
- 2¾ cup all-purpose flour + 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon whiskey (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white chocolate chunks
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add in egg, egg yolk,molasses, vanilla extract and whiskey, beat together until fully incorporated.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients and beat until combined. Fold in white chocolate chunks.
- Refrigerate dough for 1 - 2 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the dough into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter. Pour sugar into a small bowl, and roll each ball in the sugar until completely coated. Place on greased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or until cookies are cracked slightly on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool.