It seems as soon as autumn arrived, I stored away my yoga matt, changed into sweat pants and traded home cooked meals for take out. You can blame it on my busy schedule but really even the busiest of busiest people, cough Beyoncé, manages to put their health first.
I can feel my lack of nutrition weigh down my body and my mood. Each morning it’s like I’m slugging through quicksand. To get on track again, I walked 1.2 miles to the grocery store to stock up on dark leafy greens, beans and nuts.
These Lentil and Sweet Potato Cranberry Meatballs are a culmination of that trip. Crispy on the outside with a soft melt in your mouth interior, they will be at home wrapped in pita bread, placed on top of a salad, and or eaten naked.
The cilantro adds a bright, earthy note amongst the pops of sweetness from the cranberries. As an afterthought, I threw in a couple torn pieces of stale herb ciabatta bread to soak up the moisture. If you don’t have ciabatta, use packaged herb breadcrumbs.
I adore the flavor it gives these meatballs, otherwise they are a tad bland. I can’t wait to see how you guys use these Lentil and Sweet Potato Cranberry Meatballs in your next dish. Enjoy!
If you decide to take a chance on these Lentil and Sweet Potato Cranberry Meatballs, don’t forget to #YNGBRKANDHNGRY on Instagram so I can see it. High Five!
- 15 oz can lentils, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup diced almonds
- ½ cup grated sweet potato
- ¼ cup cranberries
- ⅓ cup herb breadcrumbs
- handful of cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor or blender, pulse together the ingredients until a thick mixture forms.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon amounts of dough, and roll into balls.
- Slick the bottom of a skillet with olive oil, then add meatballs. Brown for about 5 minutes total, shaking the pan to roll them around to brown all sides. Serve however you please.