As I sit here typing this post, my face is streaked with tears and black mascara. I usually try to keep things on this old blog light hearted – chocolate, pies, and cookie rainbows. Life isn’t always filled with sweet treats and skipping down the sidewalk though. It’s filled with highs and lows.
My low isn’t so much a low, more hitting a breaking point. The past few months I have been dealing with an infestation of bed begs in my apartment. If you have never dealt with the horrible creations, consider yourself lucky. They are disgusting. My management company has sent somebody out to my place twice to kill with them. I’m keeping my finger’s crossed the second time is the charm because I can’t deal with another load of laundry, and or waking up with red welts on my arms.
Much to my boyfriends chagrin, I don’t want to move. I love the light in my apartment due to the large expanse of windows in the living room. Also, it’s the first place that has felt like home in awhile.
If you wondering what the hell does this have to do with Caramel Apple Crepes? Well, originally these crepes were supposed to be a cake with pastry crème and caramel sauce. But…my manager gave me thirty minutes before I had to vacate the premises so the fumigator could work his toxic magic. Hence, lazy girl caramel apple crepes. The apples are left raw and the crepes are made with tortillas. I used Tortilla Land brand, which are uncooked and can be found in the refrigerator section.
I came across this shortcut in Food52 Genius Recipes: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook. Guys, you need this cookbook on your shelf. I literally bookmarked every page – one ingredient corn butter, maple and olive oil granola, roasted applesauce. Its hard to choose where to begun.
I’m happy with my choice though. These crepes are packed with creamy sweetened whip cream, crunchy apples and caramel sauce. Lazy never tasted so good. Enjoy.
If you decide to take a chance on these Lazy Girl Caramel Apple Crepes, don’t forget to #YNGBRKANDHNGRY on Instagram so I can see it. High Five!
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 inch flour tortilla (the thinner the better)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ apple, cored and diced
- 3 tablespoons caramel sauce
- Whisk together the egg and cream together in a round cake pan. Add the vanilla extract and cinnamon. Submerge the tortilla in the egg mixture, ensuring the front and bottom side are thoroughly covered.
- In a medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Lift tortilla out of the egg mixture and place it wet side down in the skillet. Pour the remaining egg cream mixture on the tortilla and spread it with your fingers. As soon as the underside of the tortilla is light brown, flip the crepe over. Cook for anther minute.
- With a hand mixer, whip the cream and sugar until stiff peeks are formed. Top the crepe with the whip cream and chopped apples. Drizzle with caramel. Serve.