Trader Joes is my home away from home. It is also my wallet drainer because whenever I go in there, random items I don’t need mysteriously end up in my cart. The other day my boyfriend was putting away the groceries and grabbed a bag of Truffle Marcona Almonds. His sideways glance said everything. However, he changed his tune once he ate one. Now the Marcona Almonds are on our list of must buys along with Cowboy Cavier, another random purchase that ended up a favorite.
Cowboy Cavier is a mixture of black beans, corn, onions and red bell peppers, pickled in a blend of chipotle peppers, adobe sauce and, lime juice. It’s sweet, spicy and literally can go on everything from pizza to eggs. Since the Super Bowl is coming up this Sunday, I decided to try my hand at making a homemade version.
There are a few prerequisites when it comes to game day snacks. They have to take less than 10 minutes to put together and can be made ahead of time. This Cowboy Cavier checks off on all marks. You dump the four ingredients into a pot, stir and serve. Easy! It can be eaten cold or warm. Personally, I prefer it cold with a bag of tortilla chips on the side. Enjoy!
- 1 14½ ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can black beans- drained and rinsed
- 1 16 ounce jar salsa verde
- 1½ cup petite yellow frozen corn
- dash of chili powder
- Juice from one lime
- In a large pot, combine the tomatoes with their juices, drained and rinsed black beans, corn, salsa verde and chili powder.
- Heat over low heat until thoroughly warm.
- Add the lime juice to taste.
- Can be served warm or cold. Either way taste delicious.