As if you couldn’t already tell, but I am a huge fan of breakfast. It wasn’t always that way though. Back in the day, a cup of coffee would sustain me until my hunger pains kicked in around 2:00 pm and then I would gorge at lunch. Defiantly not a healthy way to live. So I changed my mindset.
I started with cereal, eased into oatmeal and now I am in full-blown breakfast territory. These Sausage, Black Pepper and Rosemary Drop Biscuits exemplify everything I love about a hearty meal to start your day off right. They will keep you full well into lunch and are delicious topped off with an over easy egg. Enjoy!
- ½ pound breakfast sausage
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 stick butter
- cup milk
- In a medium skillet over high heat, brown sausage and set aside to cool. I let mine sit in the fridge until I was ready to use it.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Cut the cold butter into pieces and work it into the dry ingredients. You can either use a pastry cutter, your hands or two knives. Either way, you want the mixture to resemble sand.
- Fold in the sausage.
- Incorporate the milk into the mixture until you get a thick like paste.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop 8 dollops of the biscuit dough onto the paper.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.