Did you know July is national hot dog month? Since I am blissfully unaware, I did not. Hot dogs are one of those rare treats I eat at baseball games, maybe once a year. I like to dress them up with everything under the sun. Grilled onions, jalapenos, ketchup and mustard. A few days ago my friend was telling me about these hot dogs he used to get back in Reno Nevada that were wrapped in bacon. It was in that moment, I felt like my whole life had been a lie. A hot dog wrapped in bacon? Why wasn’t informed of this earlier?
These Tijuana Style Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs are commonly sold by Mexican street vendors and are as versatile as tacos. The only rule is that the dogs have to be wrapped in bacon but the toppings can be a mish mash of Mexican and traditional American. For this recipe I went with avocado, pinto beans, jalapenos and pineapple drizzled with crema. The French hoagie roll provides a stable structure for the toppings. By the way, I am well aware there is no avocado in the first picture but use your imagination. Enjoy!
- 6 hot dogs
- 6 slices thin cut bacon
- 6 french style hoagie rolls
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans
- 1 8 ounce can pineapple chunks
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 avocado, halved and chopped
- 6 tablespoons Mexican Crèma
- Wrap bacon around hot dogs tightly and cook for 2 minutes on each side in a searing hot skillet until the bacon is crispy.
- Place hot dogs in a bun. Top with pinto beans, pineapple chunks, diced jalapeno, avocado and a tablespoon of Mexican Crema.