Originally, I was going to call these seven layer bars but since they don’t technically have seven layers, they are magic bars. The logistics in the baking world, I tell ya…so fussy. Either way, this is my first time making this kind of dessert. I always thought seven layer or magic bars, whatever you want to call them, were too sweet. I should’ve known better though. Sweetened condensed milk is the nectar of the gods and when poured on top of a variety of ingredients, it creates a bar that is out of this world good.
Crushed graham cracker crumbs, honey roasted peanuts, sliced banana, coconut chips and chocolate chips make up the five layers. These Magic Monkey Bars are sweet but salty, rich and gooey. My over ripe banana’s will no longer be used for banana bread, oh no, I will be saving them exclusively for these bars. Enjoy!
- 1 cup graham crackers crumb (about 6 graham crackers)
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 ½ cups honey roasted peanuts
- 1 banana, sliced
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup coconut chips (you can find them at Trader Joes) or coconut flakes
- 8 oz sweetened condensed milk.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Spray with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together melted butter and graham cracker crumbs. Press onto the bottom of baking pan.
- Sprinkle honey roasted peanuts on top of the crust. Arrange sliced bananas in neat rows, then chocolate chips and coconut. Drizzle with sweetened condensed milk.
- Bake for 35-38 minutes or until center is set. Bars stay fresh in air tight container for 3 days. Or in the freezer for up to a month (I prefer the freezer)