I am an odd mix when it comes to the mornings. While I do get up at the butt crack of dawn not because I have to but because my body won’t let me sleep past 7 am, my happy face doesn’t appear until 11 am. It takes a hearty breakfast, perusing a few of my favorite food blogs and a shower for me to feel as if I don’t want to slap somebody.
Yesterday though, I had a Chocolate Banana Breakfast cookie and it was as if my sunshine switch was turned on at 8 am. Two of these cookies cured me of my grumpiness. Bittersweet chocolate is folded into the batter while chocolate extract gives them that double punch of flavor. Enjoy!
- 1 smashed banana
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup coca powder
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon chocolate extract
- ¾ cup flour
- 1⅓ cups oats
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup chopped 70 percent chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchement paper.
- Mix the smashed banana with the brown sugar, coca powder, vegetable oil, egg and chocolate extract. In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together. Pour the dry into the wet mixture and stir until barely combined. Fold in the chopped chocolate. Bake for 12 minutes.
- *The cookies will last for 3 days in an airtight container or the freezer for up to a month.